We’ve had a hectic couple of months in the department. Here are a few of the things that have been happening:
- Submissions of graduation theses: January 12th was the deadline for submissions. I’m sure some students were working through the night on January 11th! Fortunately, everyone got their completed theses in on time.
- Seminar Orientation: On January 19th, second-year students and third-year students gathered to hear faculty members introduce their seminar courses for the 2016-17 academic year. After that event, students had a few weeks to think about what field they wanted to pursue in their third and fourth years.
- Oral defense: On February 16th and 17th, fourth-year students had to do the oral defense of their graduation theses. This consists of a 20-minute interview with the student’s supervisor and one other faculty member. It is after this interview that the student’s grade is decided, so students were rather nervous! Around the same time, Master’s students also had their oral defense. This usually lasts one hour and typically features at least 3 faculty members.
- Graduation Thesis Presentations: This event, held on February 19th, was attended by third- and fourth-year students. One fourth-year student from each seminar group gave a presentation on the content of their graduation thesis, and those attending asked questions.
- (Graduate School) Graduation Thesis Presentations: This event, held on February 29th, featured Masters and doctoral students presenting the content of their dissertations or theses.